Back to Fordell House
FORDELL HOUSE. Scottish, Reel. G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. John Glen (1891) finds the earliest appearance of this tune in print in Robert Ross's A Choice Collection of Scots Reels or Country Dances or Strathspeys (1780, p. 22).
Fordell House, Dalgety, County Fife, was built in 1721 by Sir John Henderson, the third baronet, who moved from the nearby Fordell Castle when it was complete. It was a grand 43-room manor house with extensive and beautiful grounds, but was demolished in 1963 (although the castle survives and has been restored as a private residence).
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Glen (The Glen Collection of Scottish Dance Music), vol. 1, 1891; p. 7. Robert Ross (Choice Collection of Scots Reels or Country Dances & Strathspeys), Edinburgh, 1780; p. 22.