Apley House

Find traditional instrumental music
(Redirected from Apley House)
Jump to: navigation, search

G Major ('A' and 'C' parts) & D Major ('B' part). ABC (Sharp): AABBCC (Barnes, Karpeles, Raven).

Apley House, Shropshire, was built before 1620 by William Whitmore and was located near Bridgton on the Severn River. The melody was introduced in the 11th edition (1701) of Henry Playford's Dancing Master. It was retained in the long-running series through the 18th and last edition, published in 1728. "Apley House" was also published by the Walsh family in their Compleat Country Dancing Master editions on 1718 and 1754.

Printed sources: Barnes (English Country Dance Tunes), 1986. Karpeles & Schofield (A Selection of 100 English Folk Dance Airs), 1951; pg. 23. Raven (English Country Dance Tunes), 1984; pg. 22. Sharp (Country Dance Tunes), 1909/1994; pg. 77.