Ballindalloch Castle (1)
Back to Ballindalloch Castle (1)
BALLINDALLOCH CASTLE . AKA - "Ballendalloch Castle." AKA and see "Captain MacDonald's Strathspey." Scottish, Slow Strathspey. B Flat Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. Composed by William Marshall (1748-1833). Ballindalloch Castle is located on the east bank of the River Avon. In Marshall's time the structure was occupied by General James Grant, a soldier who fought in the American Revolution, became Governor of East Florida, and traveled extensively—although not without his chef. The General loved fine food, and took his French chef with him when he journeyed and when he retired to the Castle. Ballindalloch has been the home of the MacPherson-Grans since 1546, and has been called The Pearl of the North.
The strathspey was published as "Captain MacDonald's Strathspey" by John Macpherson Mulholland in Edinburgh in 1804.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Marshall (Fiddlecase Edition), 1978; 1822 Collection, p. 8.