Back to Belhelvie House
BELHELVIE HOUSE. AKA and see "Miss Watson's Reel," "North Bridge of Edinburgh (The)" (Gow). Scottish, Strathspey. C Minor. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. Composed by William Marshall (1748-1833), appearing in his First Collection, 1781 (Marshall also published the tune in another key, naming it "Miss Watson's Reel"). The Gows' appropriated the tune and renamed it "North Bridge of Edinburgh (The)," by which title it was published in Repository, Part First, 1799. Belhelvie is a manor house located near the town of Newburgh in Aberdeenshire, built in 1783 for Harry Lumsden, an advocate and tax collector in Aberdeen. See also the Irish derivative of Marshall's tune, "Musical Priest."
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Marshall, Fiddlecase Edition, 1978; 1822 Collection, p. 28.