Birnan Hall

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Birnan Hall


X:1 % T:Birnan Hall (Dunkeld) C:Alexander Walker M:6/8 L:1/8 R:Air B:Walker - Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Marches etc. (1866, p. 34) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion F:http://digital.nls.uk/special-collections-of-printed-music/archive/105875488?mode=zoom K:D A/G/|FGA EFG|FDD D2d|cde Bcd|cAA A2c| dcB AGF|GAd e2d|FGA CDE|A,DD D2:| f|d2A F2A|DEF A2F|B,2B B2A|BEE E2e| d2A F2A|DEF A2F|GAB EFG|FDD D2f| a2f g2e|f2d e2c|d2A B2F|GEE E2 A/G/| FGA GAB|ABc d3|cBA GFE|FDD D2||



BIRNAN HALL. Scottish, Jig (6/8 time). D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The Birnam Hall (note spelling) of the title is in Murthly, Perthshire, not far from the famous fiddler-composer Niel Gow's (1727–1807) home in Dunkeld. It was originally built in the western end of Murthly estate in a bequest by John Stewart, who owned Grandtully, Murthly and Stratnbraan, to provide for the poorest men on his estates. The building and grounds were purchased by William Drummond Stewart in 1844 and renamed Dalpowie Lodge, and it is said that he preferred to live there rather than at Murthly Hall. Some say that he wanted to be closer to the American buffalo (bison) that he had brought back from his adventures with the Mountain Men in the American Rockies, and which he kept in a part below Birnam Hall. He may also have thought it more discrete for his lifestyle. Birnam Hall was demolished shortly after World War II.

When 'Dalpowie Lodge' was renamed 'Birnam Hall' is not known, although it was prior to 1881.

Additional notes

Source for notated version: -

Printed sources : - Walker (A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Marches, &c.), 1866; No. 97, p. 34.

Recorded sources: -



Back to Birnan Hall