Bridge of Athlone (1) (The)
Back to Bridge of Athlone (1) (The)
BRIDGE OF ATHLONE , THE (Droicead Ata Luain). AKA and see "Humors of Whiskey (2) (The)," "Dever the Dancer," "Peeler's Return (The)/Policeman's Return," "Deel of the Dance," "Dillon's Fancy (2)," "Crossroads Frolic (The)," "Humors of Derry." Irish, Long Dance (6/8 time). D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). ABCD (Roche): ABCDD' (Mulvihill). The Bridge of Athlone, over the river Shannon, connects Connaught and Leinster. It was built in 1566, the ninth year of the reign of the English Queen Elizabeth. Originally built of wood, it was 360 feet long and 14 feet wide, had nine arches with pillars built on stones thrown into the river and held in position by wooden pilings. During the late 17th century the Bridge of Athlone was the site of a fierce struggle in 1691 between the Jacobite forces and the forces of William of Orange, led by the Dutch general Ginkel, who eventually succeeded in crossing the flow. A new bridge was constructed in 1884, featuring a swivel span to accommodate larger boats, and was itself replaced by a fixed span in the 1960's. The tune has long been used for a group (ceili) dance of the same name. The second strain differs from "The Humours of Whiskey" family of tunes.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Jordan (Whistle and Sing), 1975; 48. Mulvihill (1st Collection), 1986; No. 16, p. 122. Roche (Collection of Traditional Irish Music, vol. 3), 1927; No. 140, p. 44.