X:1 T:Calgarth Hornpipe M:C L:1/8 S:Wm Irwin, 1838 MS, AGG's Transcription R:Hornpipe A:Lake District Z:vmp.Chris Partington.2000 K:F cB|A2F2 F2GA|B2G2 G2cB|Acfe dcBA|G2C2 C2cB| A2F2 F2GA|BABc defg|abga ecde|f2a2 f2:| |:fg|afdf Afcf|afdf bagf|gece Aece|gece gfef| dfcf BfAf|GABc defg|abga ecde|f2a2 f2:|
CALGARTH HORNPIPE. AKA and see "Dutch Skipper (7) (The)," "Turk's March (2)." English, Hornpipe. F Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The hornpipe was entered into the mid-19th century music manuscript collection of Lake District musician William Irwin (1822-1889). Irwin attributed several tunes in his collection to himself or musical acquaintances but did not attribute this tune. Calgarth Park is a fine Georgian House built in 1790 by Richard Watson, Bishop of Llandaff (1739-1816). When he bought the Calgarth estate he found the existing house, Calgarth Hall did not please him, so he used land on the other side of the Trout Beck to build a more suitable house for a bishop. An eminent man in his day, Richard Watson corresponded with, and was visited by Wordsworth, Southey, De Quincey amongst many others. After he died, his heirs owned Calgarth Park throughout the 19th century, often renting it out for six months at a time. They sold the house and grounds to Oswald Hedley in the early 1900s.
Cumbrian musician John Rook included a version of the tune in his 1840 music manuscript collection as "Turkish March/Turk's March (2)."