Castle Grant (2)

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search

X:1 T:Castle Grant - a Strathspey M:C L:1/8 R:Strathspey S:McGlashan - Reels (c. 1786) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:D F|D>AAB/c/ d>BA>F|D>AAB/c/ d>FD>F|E>ee>f g>ef>d| B>eea/g/ f>ed>f|D>AAB/c/ d>B A/B/A/F/|D>AAB/c/ d>F D>g| a>fg>e f>de>c|d/c/B/A/ B/c/d/A/ F>E D||f|d/e/f/g/ a>b a>fd>f| d/e/f/g/ a>b a>fd>f|Bee>f g>ef>d|Beea/g/ f>ed>f| d/e/f/g/ a>b a>fd>f|d/e/f/g/ a>b a>fd>f|g>bf>a e>fd>A|B/A/B/c/ d/c/B/A/ F>E D||



CASTLE GRANT [2]. Scottish, Strathspey. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB. Castle Grant is the seat in Strathspey of the Clan Grant (whose name perhaps derives from the Norman-French grand, meaning 'great'), a mile north Grantown in Speyside, who first occupied it in 1693. The story goes that it was wrested from the powerful Comyn family by an alliance of Grants with Clan MacGregor, in reprisal for attacks made by the Comyns on the Grants, and it is said the skull of the Comyn Chief is held a Castle Grant to this day. The structure was originally an L-shaped tower, and housed, along with the living clan members, the ghost of Lady Barbara Grant, a daughter of a 16th century laird, who died while locked in a cupboard because she fell in love with someone deemed unsuitable by her father. Castle Grant was completely rebuilt in 1765 by John Adams at the behest of Sir Ludovic Grant, with the new structure completely enveloping the old. Vacant in modern times, it has recently been sold for renovations.

Additional notes

Source for notated version: -

Printed sources : - McGlashan (A Collection of Reels), c. 1786; p. 8.

Recorded sources: -



Back to Castle Grant (2)