Castle Spynie

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search



Back to Castle Spynie


X:1 T:Castle Spynie M:C L:1/8 R:Strathspey S:MacDonald - Skye Collection (1887) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:D B|A>FG>E F<A d>e|f>ed>f e<E E>B|A>FG>E F<A (d>e)|f>de>c d2d: f/g/|a>f g>e f<a dc/d/|e>cd>B c<e Af/g/|a>fg>e f<d B>g|f>de>c (d2 d)f/g/| a>fg>e f>a dc/d/|e>cd>B c<e Af/g/|(3agf (3edc (3B^c^d (3efg|(3fed (3edc d2d||



CASTLE SPYNIE. Scottish, Strathspey (whole time). D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. Composed by James Scott Skinner (1842-1927). Castle Spynie is an ancient ruin of a fort or broch situated on the top of a bare rock some 800 ft. above sea level in the Parish of Kirkhill, west of Moniack, Inverness-shire. The walls are 14 ft. thick and are made of undressed stones with no mortar. However, by the beginning of the 18th century the castle had fallen into disrepair, and when it was annexed to the Crown again in that year was uninhabitable due to the removal of all the wood and iron. By 1775 even the great Tower was in ruins.


Additional notes



Printed sources : - MacDonald (The Skye Collection), 1887; p. 56. J. Scott Skinner (Miller o' Hirn Collection), 1881; No. 10, p. 4.






Back to Castle Spynie

0.00
(0 votes)




⧼⧽