Back to Chadwell's Station
CHADWELL'S STATION. AKA - Chadwell Station. Old-Time, Breakdown. A tune popularized by Seattle's Canote twins. Chadwell's Station was a fortified stopover on the Wildnerness Trail in Lee County, Virginia, built by David Chadwell, an early settler, around 1790. The tune is in the Hamblon Collection, a manuscript entitled A Collection of Violin Tunes Popular During the Early 1800's, compiled in the mid-1950's by A. Porter Hamblon, currently housed in the Library of Congress. It is inscribed "A collection of violin tunes, popular during the early 1800's as played by David Russell Hamblon (1809-1893) and his son Williamson (1846-1920) arranged and copied by A. Porter Hamblon (1875-195-) son of Williamson." A note in the MS gives that the tune was "played by David Russell Hamblon in the 1840's," and that "Chadwell's Station is a small village located on Highway 58 about six miles east of Cumberland Gap, Lee County, Virginia," near where Hamblon lived.
Source for notated version:
Recorded sources: Yodel-Ay-Hee Records CD071, Christian Wig & Whitt Mead - "Chadwell's Station: Fiddling on the Frontier."