Clach na Cudain (2)
X:1 % T:Clach na Cudain  T:Cross of Inverness, The M:C| L:1/8 R:Reel B:Stewart-Robertson - The Athole Collection� (1884) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:G G|DB,B,D ECCB|cBAG FDDE|DB,B,D ECCG|FDAF G2GE| DB,B,D ECCB|cBAG FEDC|B,DGD CEAE|FDAF G2G|| c|g2g2 ecce|^caca fdd=c|BgBg ecc^g|a^ga^c d2d=c| B/c/d gd ecce|^c/d/e ag fd dg/a/|bdBg ecAc|B/c/d DF G2GE||
CLACH NA CUDAIN  (The Cross of Inverness). AKA and see "Cross of Inverness (The)." Scottish, Reel. G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB (Hunter): AABB (Neil). The 'clach' is the foundation stone of the town of Inverness, located near the Market Cross, where all business (and the town gossip) was carried on, according to Captain Simon Fraser , the likely composer of the tune (in whose 1816 collection it appears). Neil (1991) relates that this stone was called the 'Stone of Tubs' or 'The Rocking Stone of Inverness' and that women placed their buckets on it before setting off for the river. There is a legend that the town will survive as long as the stone remains intact. See also the companion strathspey "Clach na Cudain (1)."