X: 1 % T:Cupid's Bridge C:John Pratt M:3/2 L:1/4 S:Colin Hume's website, www.colinhume.com - chords can also be printed below the stave. %%MIDI gchord czc %%MIDI beat 100 95 80 Q:1/2=84 " stately" K:Bb P:A V:1 %%MIDI program 72 |: FDF | B2 d2 cB | c3 F DF | B2 d2 cB | f3 g fd | e3 g f(e/d/) | c3 F DF | Bd fd e/d/c/B/ | B3 :| V:2 %%MIDI program 74 |: DB,D | D2 B,2 CD | A,3 C B,D | D2 B,2 CD | A,2 AG B2 | G4 B2 | A3 DB,C | DB, A,B, CA, | D3 :| V:3 bass octave=-2 %%MIDI program 50 %%MIDI bassprog 77 |: B"Bb"B2 | "Bb"B2 B2 "F"A"Bb"B | "F"F4 "Bb"B2 | "Bb"B2 B2 "F"A"Bb"B | "F"F2 fe "Bb"d2 | "Cm"c2 "Eb"e2 "Bb"d"Eb"e | "F"f2 f2 "Bb"b"F"a | "Gm"g2 "Dm"d"Gm"g "Cm"c"F"f | "Bb"B3 :| P:B V:1 |: bgb | a2 ga g=e | f3 g _eg | fd bc dB | c3 gGB | c2 d2 Bc | A3 F DF | Bd f(g/f/) (e/d/)(c/B/) | B3 :| V:2 |: DB,D | CD =EF GB | A2 BG GG | c B2 F2 G | A2 G3 F | EF D2 FG | F2 CD B,D | B,2 A,G, A,/B,/C | D3 :| V:3 |: "Bb"B"Eb"e"Bb"B | "F"f2 "C"c"F"f "C"=ec | "Dm"d2 "Gm"GB "Cm"cB | "F"A"Bb"B "Gm"G"F"A "Bb"B2 | "F"f2 "Cm"e3 d | "Cm"cA "Bb"Bb d"Cm"e | "F"f4 "Bb"f2 | "Gm"g2 "Dm"d"Eb"e "F7"fF | "Bb"B3 :|
CUPID'S BRIDGE. English, Country Dance Tune (3/2 time). B Flat Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The melody appears in Thomas Bray's Country Dances, 1699). Bray was a dancer and dancing master at Drury Lane and Dorset Garden theatres in the late 17th century.
Capers, Cuper's, or Cupids Bridge was in located in Lambeth Parish, near the south side of the River Thames. It was a long landing stage in the river known as and acted as a popular entrance for Cuper's Gardens, the 17–18th century pleasure gardens in London, looking over to Somerset House. The gardens were located on a three-acre patch of land purchased in 1643 by the 21st Earl of Arundel, Thomas Howard, which he leased to his gardener Abraham Boydell Cuper. The gardens opened to the public in the 1680's and were named for the gardener who developed the land. Cuper's Gardens were also known as Cupid's Gardens. In 1686, seven acres of adjoining land was bought from the Archbishop of Canterbury and added to the gardens. It became a venue for concerts, supporting an orchestra from 1736, and was known for its fireworks displays. However the venue closed in 1753 as the clientele became ever more rowdy and disruptive, casing its license to be revoked.