X:1 T:Dalkeith House M:C| L:1/8 R:Reel B:The Athole Collection Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:D f|~d2 AB/c/ dAFD|Geed cAA=c|B2GB AdFA|GEAG FDD:| g|f2df eace|dBed cAA=c|B2GB AdFA|GBAG FDDg| fefd eace|dfed cAA=c|BABG FGA=c|Bgge fdd||
DALKEITH HOUSE. Scottish, Reel. D Major/Mixolydian. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB (Surenne): AAB (most versions). Composed by James MacDonald, whom Hunter (1988) identifies as one of the "professional" fiddlers who contributed to the Gow collections. Gow (1817) notes he is the "late" Mr. MacDonald. Dalkeith is a Celtic name meaning 'meadow by the wood.' Dalkeith Palace, Midlothian, was a 12th century castle that came into the ownership of the Scotts of Buccleuch in 1651. At the time the tune was earliest printed (in McGlashan's c. 1786 collection) Dalkeith House was occupied by the 3rd Duke and Duchess of Buccleugh, Lady Elisabeth Montagu (b. 1743), who in 1767 became the wife of Henry (1746-1812).