Forth Bridge (2) (The)

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Forth Bridge (2) (The)


FORTH BRIDGE [2], THE. Scottish, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning (fddle). AB. The companion reel to the strathspey "Forth Bridge (1) (The)", also composed by Williamson Blyth (1821-1897), a Edinburgh violinist and violin maker who turned out quite a number of fine instruments. An 1806 violin by Blyth went for about $5,000 at auction in 1999. The Forth Bridge, spanning the Forth of Firth from South Queensferry to North Queensferry, was completed in 1890. The chief engineer for the project was Benjamin Baker, who used a novel design for the time: triangular structures reaching from opposite sides to hold the central spans in place. This cantilever construction was still quite radical in 1881, when the project was begun, and was made possible by a design employing a striking array of massive tubular steel members. See also J. Scott Skinner's musical commemoration on the opening of the structure, a hornpipe called "Forth Brig (2)."

Source for notated version:

Printed sources: Henderson (Flowers of Scottish Melody), 1935. Hunter (Fiddle Music of Scotland), 1988; No. 213.

Recorded sources: Culburnie Records CUL 121D, Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas - "Fire and Grace" (2004). Rounder 82161-7032-2, Bill Lamey - "From Cape Breton to Boston and Back: Classic House Sessions of Traditional Cape Breton Music 1956-1977" (2000).

See also listing at:
Alan Snyder's Cape Breton Fiddle Recordings Index [1]




Back to Forth Bridge (2) (The)