Back to Freeman's Yard
FREEMAN'S YARD. English, Triple Hornpipe (3/2 time). G Minor. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABBB. The melody appears in all four editions of London publisher John Young's Second Volume of the Dancing Master  (1710-1728), and in all three editions of the Walshes' Second Book of the Compleat Country Dancing-Master (1719, 1735, 1749), and in Walsh & Randall's New Country Dancing Master, 2nd Book (1710).
Freeman's Yard was the 17th/early 18th century name for what was later called Freeman's Court, in Cornhill Ward, London, named after one of the Aldermen of the city. There was a Ralph Freeman, Clothworker, Alderman of Cornhill Ward in 1632-4, and the court may have been named after him. It was demolished in 1842 for the rebuilding and enlargement of the Royal Exchange. Freeman's Yard was also the location of the house and one of the places of business of a music publishing firm in London, contemporary with Henry Playford, owned by John and Joseph Hare (father and son). The Hare's were associated with Playford's rival publisher John Walsh (also the name of a father and son music publisher), and did business in sheet music and instruments under the sign of the Viol and Flute (or, in some accounts the Viol and Harp). Daniel Defoe was a neighbor who, in addition to his writing, carried on the business of hose-factor. [Kidson, British music publishers, printers and engravers: London, 1900, pp. 56-59].
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Young (Second Volume of the Dancing Master), 1710; p. 58.