Back to Glasserton House
GLASSERTON HOUSE. Scottish, Slip Jig (9/8 time). G Minor. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The jig is attributed to fiddler-composer John French (1752-1803) of Cumnock, Ayrshire. Glasserton House, Whithorn, Wigtonshire (Dumfries & Galloway), Scotland, was built by Admiral the Honorable Keith Stewart, son of the 6th Earl of Galloway, on lands acquired in 1767. He employed Robert Adam as architect and built the manor house, parkland, triple walled garden and farm buildings between 1770 and 1787. The house was demolished in 1948, but the walled garden remains as a private garden and plant nursery. A 1795 Dumfries newspaper recorded:
The pleasure Ground is extensive and the whole Walks are in perfect good order. The gardens contain some acres of ground, and are inclosed with Brick-walls, which are sixteen feet high, and well stocked with the choicest fruit trees. The Vinery, Peach, and Nectarin Houses, as well as the Melon Beds, have lately been put in the most complete order, and produce great quantities of the choicest fruit.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: French (Collection of New Strathspeys, Reels, etc.), 1801; p. 1.