X:2 T:Hodgsdon Square M:3/2 L:1/8 R:Country Dance B:John Young - Second Volume of the Dancing Master (1710, p. 25) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:D d2 agab|a2d4 f2e2d2|e2A4 Bcdedc|B2g4 f2e2d2|e6 d2 agab| a2 d4 f2e2d2|e2A4 Bcdedc|B2g4 f2e2d2|d6|| B2A2F2|G3A BA BcBc d2|cd e2A2 a2g2f2|^g2a2 ba gf e2^g2| a6 b2a2f2|g3a ba gf gfed|edcB A2 B2A2F2|G3A BA GF E2D2|D6||
HODGSDON SQUARE. AKA - "Hodgson Square," "Hoxton Square." English, Country Dance Tune (6/8 or Triple Hornpipe 3/2 time). D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. As "Hodgsdon Square" the tune was first printed  in John Young's Second Volume of the Dancing Master, first edition of 1713, and the second edition of 1714. It was dropped from the subsequent two editions. The melody also appears in Walsh and Hare's Second Book of the Compleat Country Dancing-Master (London, 1719) under the "Hoxton Square" title.
Hodgsdon Square was in the old Parish of St. Leonard Shoreditch in Middlesex County; the name Hodgsdon dating back to Anglo-Saxon times (meaning the 'fortified farm of Hoch, or Hocq'). Spelled Hoxton Square, it has been absorbed into the east end of London and is thought to be one of the oldest squares in the city, laid out by Samuel Blewitt and Robert Hackshaw in 1683 on land land leased from the Austen family. In John Young's time Hoxton Square was the location of an Academy "offering a wide curriculum and also allowing "free enquiry" by its students" .