Hordley Hall

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Hordley Hall


HORDLEY HALL. AKA - "Hordly Hall." English, Country Dance Tune (cut time). B Flat Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The melody first appears [1] in London publisher John Young's Second Volume of the Dancing Master (first edition, 1710). It was retained in subsequent editions of the work, in 1714, 1718 and 1728, although in the last two editions the title was changed to "Hordly Hall." Rival publishers Walsh & Hare published it in 1719 in their Second Book of the Compleat Country Dancing-Master.

The title may perhaps refer to the the family estate of dancing master Nathaniel Kynaston (1683-1757). Although very little is known about him, Kynaston appears to have been active from 1705 to about 1722 in the Shropshire/Wales border area, publishing over 120 tunes and dances. A Hordley Hall is an old manor house in Shropshire, anciently held by the Kynaston family, consisting of a manor house and an adjoining church. It was occupied by the "Lord of the Manor" until 1712 when the Kynaston family built Hardwick Hall and moved to the new building. The old Manor House was converted into two farmhouses, Hordley Hall and Church Farm. Hordley Hall remained in the Kynaston Estate until 1974.

Source for notated version:

Printed sources:

Recorded sources:




Back to Hordley Hall