Jackson's Welcome Home
X:1 T:Jackson’s Welcome Home M:6/8 L:1/8 R:Jig S:”John McFail” S:Henry Hudson manuscript collection c. 1841 (Dublin, No. 328) N:Hudson was a Dublin dentist and an early collector. He was N:music editor of The Citizen or Dublin Monthly Magazine from N:1841-1843. F: http://rarebooks.library.nd.edu/digital/bookreader/MSE_1434-2/#page/7/mode/1up Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:G d|gfg efg|dec BAG|gfg efg|dBG A3| gfg efg|dec BAG|AFA BGB|cAF G2:| |:DED cAA|Bdg dBG|DED cAA|dBG A3| DED cAA|Bcd efg|dec BcA|BGG G2:|]
JACKSON'S WELCOME HOME. AKA and see "Connachtman's Jig (The)," "Holly Tree (1) (The)," "Le Pulley's Fancy," "Lilt (2), "Trip to Chelmsford." Irish, Jig (6/8 time). G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The tune is credited to Walker ("Piper") Jackson by Canon James Goodman. Jackson was a noted 18th century Irish piper and a landed gentlemen with estates in the townland of Lisdaun, parish of Ballingarry, Aughrim, County Limerick. He was an accomplished and famous dance composer, mostly of jigs, many of which include his name in the titles (a number more have been credited to him, although it is doubtful or not possible for him to have composed them). The tune was first published in O'Farrell's Pocket Companion for the Irish or Union Pipes, volume one, and it was entered into the 1841-42 music manuscript collection of Dublin dentist and music collector Henry Hudson (1798-1889). County Cork Church of Ireland cleric and uilleann piper James Goodman entered the jig into his section of Jackson tunes in vol. 4 of his mid-19th century music manuscript collections. A Pennsylvania collected cotillion in Bayard (1981; No. 482, p. 450), is a version of the tune. Also, the first part of O'Carolan's "Planxty Irwin" strongly resembles "Jackson's Welcome Home." The second strains of O'Flannagan's and O'Neill's versions differ, although the general contour is similar, while the first strains are nearly identical.
London publishers the Thompsons appropriated the tune for a country dance, first issued as one of the pieces in their annual collection of twenty-four country dances for 1781, under the title "Le Pulley's Fancy," the name of a London dancing master. It later appeared in their 1788 compendium of 200 country dances under the Le Pulley title but also identically as "Trip to Chelmsford."