X:1 T:Keithmore M:C L:1/8 R:Strathspey or Pastoral Air S:Marshall - 1822 Collection Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:Eb [G,E]>GBG Bc ~G2|E>GBG Be GE|~E>GBG B/c/d/e/ ~G2| C<F F>G A/G/F/E/ E/D/C/B,/|~E>GBG Bc ~G2|E>GBG BeGE|~E>GBG B/c/d/e/ ~G2| C<F F>G A/G/F/E/ E/D/C/B,/||E/F/G/A/ B/c/d/e/ e/d/c/B/ e2|G/B/c/d/ e/f/g/a/ bgeB| G/B/c/d/ e/d/c/B/ c/B/A/G/ ~EG|FC ~F>E DB,CD|E/F/G/A/ B/c/d/e/ e/d/c/B/ e2| G/B/c/d/ e/f/g/a/ bgeB|A,c cA, G,B BG,|C<F F>G A/G/F/E/ E/D/C/B,/||
KEITHMORE. Scottish, Strathspey or Pastoral Air. E Flat Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB. Composed by William Marshall (1748-1833). The Mains of Keithmore, Glen Fiddich, was the name of a farm of Duke of Gordon, which Marshall lived in and ran after he left the Duke's employ as Steward of the Household in 1792. Moyra Cowie (The Life and Times of William Marshall, 1999) finds that little remains of the farm at Keithmore today. Keithmore was originally a wadset, or mortgaged land, received by Alexander Duff from the Marquis of Huntly around 1640. "In 1680," records Cowie, "Alexander Duff and his wife built the fortified house of Keithmore 'to with stand cannon' and it was into this old house that Marshall and his family moved." The name Keithmore derives from the Gaelic words for 'wind' and 'great'.