Kildrummy Castle (1)
Back to Kildrummy Castle (1)
KILDRUMMY CASTLE . Scottish, Strathspey. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AA'BB'CC'. Composed by Aberdeenshire fiddler-composer Alexander Walker (b. 1819). Kildrummy Castle , in the North East of Scotland, dates from the middle of the 13th century and was likely built by Gilbert de Moray, Bishop of Caithness, as both a fortress and residence and became one of the noblest of northern castles. In its day it was unrivaled as a seat of power, much sought after, with a long and colorful history. It passed through many hands of the Scottish nobility, including the Stewarts, Elphinstones and Erskins. Robert Bruce used it as a base in the wars with England in the 14th century. Modernized through the centuries with additions according to fashion, such as the 16th century Tower House, it finally came to an end in 1715 during the ill-fated Jacobite rising involving John Erskine, after which time it was abandoned to be used as a quarry.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Walker (A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Marches, &c.), 1866; No. 60, p. 22.