Back to Minto House
MINTO HOUSE. Scottish, Strathspey. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AA'B. Minto House, near Hawick, Roxburghshire, was one of the grand manor houses of the Borders, the home of the Elliot family for centuries. It was 16th century tower house encased by William Adam (1738-43), and, a few years after the publication of fiddler-composer John Pringle's second collection, it was enveloped by Archibald Elliott (1809-14) for the first Earl of Minto, was Governor-General of India from 1806-13. It is thought Pringle died in his service soon after arriving in India with the Governor's entourage. Pringle composed several tunes for Sir Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound (1751–1814, 4th Baronet, created Baron Minto in 1797 and Earl of Minto in 1813) and his family.
Minto House was demolished in the latter 20th century.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Pringle (A Second Collection of Strathspeys, Reels & Jiggs &c.), c. 1805; p. 21.