Miss Cumine of Logie's Reel

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search




X:1 T:Miss Cumine of Logie's Reel C:William Christie (1778-1849) N:Christie was a dancing master, fiddler N:and composer from Cuminestown, Aberdeenshire. M:C| L:1/8 R:Reel B:Christie - Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, B:Waltzes &c. (Edinburgh, 1820, p. 33) Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:G d|.B(GF).G T(EF).G.E|(DC).B,.C {B,C}D2 DG|(EA)GB AcBd|(ce) AB {F}G2 G:| B|Ggbg afg|(dc).B.c {Bc}d2 dg|.e(a^ga) .b(=gTfg)|afge ~d2 de/f/| gdBd GdBd|gdBc {Bc}d2 dg|ecdb cA (Bc/d/)|(c/d/e) A>B {F}G2G||



MISS CUMINE OF LOGIE'S REEL. Scottish, Reel (cut time). G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The title perhaps refers to a member of the Cumming family of Logie, Moray. Logie House was built by John Cumming after becoming the first Laird of Logie in 1663, and the estate remains in the hands of the Cumming family. The family, like many, has many variants of the name, deriving from Clan Comyn, the most powerful family in 13th-century Scotland until they were defeated in civil war by their rival to the Scottish throne, Robert Bruce. Spellings include Cummin, Cummins, Cumins, Cummine, Coman, Cuming, Comins, Comin, Commins, Cummings, Comings, Comeens, Commens, and Common.

"Miss Cumine of Logie's Reel" was composed by fiddler-composer, postmaster and dancing master William Christie (1778-1849), of Cuminestown, Aberdeenshire. Cuminestown is a village near Turiff, in the parish of Monquhitter, built in the 1750's on land owned by the Cumine family, to a design by Archibald Grant of Monymusk, who was a friend of Joseph Cumine.


Additional notes



Printed sources : - William Christie (Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Waltzes &c.), Edinburgh, 1820; p. 33.






Back to Miss Cumine of Logie's Reel

0.00
(0 votes)