Miss Fleming of Killiechassie
Back to Miss Fleming of Killiechassie
MISS FLEMING OF KILLIECHASSIE. AKA - Miss Flemyng's Reel." Scottish, Reel. A Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB. Composed by Perthshire composer-fiddler Duncan McKercher. Killiechassie  is a country estate and house on the River Tay near Weem, about a mile northeast of Aberfeldy, in Perth and Kinross, Scotland. Robert Stewart of Killiechassie married Emilia Fleming of Moness and assumed her name. A descendant of the Menzies family, he was the last male of the family recorded to have held Killiechassie, and is recorded in 1783 as holding the estates of Killiechassie and Moness, although in 1787 he sod the latter estate to the Earl of Breadalbane. There is reference to a "Miss Stewart, Killichassie, sister to former proprietor of Moness" in 1788. Through records it is known that Robert was still alive in 1801 and in possession of Killiechassie, and a Robert Flemyng of Killiechassie is listed in 1831 as a member of the Highland Society of Scotland. Further references to a Miss Fleming are in 1831 as a subscriber to the "Topography of the Basin of the Tay," and in 1850 the estate was held by a Miss Fleming. See also the similarly titled "Miss Stewart Flemying of Killichassy’s Strathspey," and "Miss Fleming of Moness" who was perhaps Robert's sister.
Early in the present millennium the estate of Killiechassie was purchased by author J.K. Rowling.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Duncan McKercher (A Collection of Original Stathspeys and Reels), Edinburgh, 1824; p. 3. Stewart-Robertson (The Athole Collection), 1884; p. 15.