Miss Hay of Yester
Back to Miss Hay of Yester
MISS HAY OF YESTER. Scottish, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB (Davie, Gow, Kerr): AABB' (Athole). The Hay family were lords of Yester Castle (south of the town of Gifford), East Lothian, since the 14th century. In 1646 the Hays were raised to Earls of Yester, and, in 1694, to Marquesses (of Tweeddale). George Hay 1753-1804), 7th Marquess of Tweeddale, was the head of the family in Gow’s time. He had four daughters, however, they would have been addressed by the honorific ‘Lady’, so “Miss Hay of Yester” may refer to another member of the family. The family seat was Yester House, built near the site of the original castle by architect James Smith (1645-1731). It was renovated over the years by other famous architects, including William Adam, Robert Adam, and Robert Brown.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Carlin (The Gow Collection), 1986; No. 284. Davie (Davie’s Caledonian Repository), Aberdeen, 1829-30; p. 40. Gow (Fourth Collection of Niel Gow’s Reels), 2nd ed., originally 1800; pp. 4-5. Kerr (Merry Melodies, vol. 1), c. 1880; Set 23, No. 6, p. 14. Stewart-Robertson (The Athole Collection), 1884; p. 120. DeVille (The Violin Player's Pastime), ca. 1900; p. 24.