Mr. McIntosh's Reel

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search




X:1 T:Mr. McIntosh's Reel C:William Christie (1778-1849) N:Christie was a dancing master, fiddler N:and composer from Cuminestown, Aberdeenshire. M:C| L:1/16 R:Reel Q:"Vivace" B:Christie - Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, B:Waltzes &c. (Edinburgh, 1820, p. 32) Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:D B,2|:A,A3A3G TF4 D3=C|B,3-B B3A ~G2 E3c|d2D2A3G ~F4 D2B,2|A,2D2C2E2 .F2.D2.A2.D2:| .A2.d2.c2.d2 {d}f4 Td3-c|B2b2B2d2 c2A2e2A2|.A2.d2.c2.d2 {d}Tf4 (.d2.B2)|A2d2c2e2 f2d2a2d2| .A2.d2.c2.d2 {d}f4 T(d3c)|B2b2B2d2 c2A2e2A2|d2D2A2G2 F2B2A2B,2|A,2D2C2E2 .F2.D2.A2.D2||




MR. McINTOSH'S REEL. Scottish, Reel (cut time). D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. "Mr. McIntosh's Reel" and "Mr. McIntosh's Strathspey" were composed by William Christie (1778-1849), a dancing master, postman, song collector and fiddler-composer of Cuminestown, Aberdeenshire. The two tunes honor Lachlan Mackintosh (d. 1845), whose seat of Raigmore was a 19th century mansion house in Inverness designed by Archibald Simpson. Mackintosh made his fortune as a merchant in Calcutta and returned to Scotland in 1808, where he became a prominent member of Inverness society and a Director of the Inverness Royal Academy. He fund-raised extensively for the Royal Academy and Northern Infirmary and, in 1810 established what is now known as the Raigmore Medal which was given to the most proficient student in the classics and mathematics classes. The gold medal was awarded twice-yearly with a gold medal being awarded during the summer vacation and a silver medal during the winter vacation. However by 1888 the money for the medal had run out, and it was awarded for a last time.
Raigmore House, Inverness, pre World War II


Mackintosh married the daughter of one of Christie's patrons, Sir Archibald Dunbar, 6th Baronet of Northfield, Aberdeenshire. The couple's son was Aeneas William Mackintosh, an MP for Inverness Burgh between 1868 and 1874. Northfield became an RAF base in World War II and was extensively altered for the military, then demolished in the 1960's; the remainder of the site was used to create an Emergency Hospital Service facility which evolved to become Raigmore Hospital.


Additional notes



Printed sources : - William Christie (Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Waltzes &c.), Edinburgh, 1820, p. 32.






Back to Mr. McIntosh's Reel

0.00
(0 votes)