Mrs. Maxwell of Moriston
Back to Mrs. Maxwell of Moriston
MRS. MAXWELL OF MORISTON. Scottish, Jig (6/8 time). C Minor. Standard tuning (fiddle). AA'BB'. Composed by William Shepherd (c. 1760-1812). Presumably Mrs. Maxwell was the wife of Stephen Maxwell of Morriston, a Glaswegian a coppersmith (who manufactured copper stills for the West India plantations) and principal partner in The Merchant Banking Company of Glasgow. Maxwell Street, constructed in 1771, is named after him. Morriston was an estate near Cambuslang. Unfortunately, Maxwell's business failed around the time of the French Revolution (c. 1789), and he died in 1794. See also Watlen's "Miss Maxwell of Morreston's Reel."
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Shepherd (A Collection of Strathspey Reels), 1793; p. 7.