Mrs. Oliphant of Condie’s
Back to Mrs. Oliphant of Condie’s
MRS. OLIPHANT OF CONDIE'S. Scottish, Strathspey. G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB'. The House of Condie was built probably about 1545 by William Oliphant of Newton, a cadet branch of the family and was originally called Newton House, and the Perthshire family became quite powerful and prominent in Scottish politics. The Oliphants were prominent Jacobites in the 18th century and Caroline Oliphant, Lady Nairne, the song writer, is perhaps the best known of the family. However, by the latter half of the 19th century the mansion had burned (in 1866) not to be rebuilt. The large (at one time 3,900 acres) was finally apportioned for sale in 1882. Duncan McKercher's "Mrs. Condie's Reel" is perhaps for the same person.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Kerr (Merry Melodies, vol. 2), c. 1880's; No. 112, p. 14.