Oak Stick (3)
X:1 % T:Oak Stick , The M:6/8 L:1/8 R:Jig S:”by Daniel Kelleher, Clonough, Castle Island, Co. Kerry.” N:The jig follows “Old Walls of Liscarrol” in the MS. and N:seems to have been 2nd tune in medley. S:P.D. Reidy music manuscript collection, London, 1890’s (No. 3) N:”Professor” Patrick Reidy of Castleisland was a dancing N:master engaged by the Gaelic League in London to teach N:dance classes. He introduced “Siege of Ennis” and “Walls N:of Limerick” ceili dances and wrote a treatise on dancing. N:Reidy's source, Daniel Kelleher, was variously said to have been N:from Castleisland, Sliabh Luachra region, County Kerry, or from N:the native-Irish speaking region of Achadh Bolg, Múscraigh, in N:County Cork. Reg Hall (2017) also found a reference to Kelleher N:as one of the soloists who accompanied step dancing exhibitions N:at Gaelic League events in London between 1897 and 1901. According N:to Hall, Kelleher was a young fiddle player active within the N:Gaelic League. His name is attached to thirteen tunes in Reidy’s collection. F: http://rarebooks.library.nd.edu/digital/bookreader/MSE_1434-1/#page/1/mode/1up Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:G DGG EFD|DGG EFD|DGG FGA|BdB AFD| DGG DFD|DGG EFD|GFG AGA|BGG G2:| |:A|B3 BAG|FAF AFD|BcB BAB|def gec| BcB BAG|FAF AFD|GFG AGA|(Bc/d/B) AFD:|]
OAK STICK . Irish, Jig (6/8 time). G Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The jig is contained in the c. 1890's music manuscript collection  of London dancing master Patrick D. Reidy, originally from Castleisland, County Kerry. Reidy was employed to demonstrate and teach Irish dancing at Gaelic League events in London prior to and after the turn of the 20th century, and is credited with introducing the country dances Walls of Limerick and Siege of Ennis into the repertory. He was a correspondent with Capt. Francis O'Neill in Chicago, and in 1902 sent him one of his music copybooks in which this melody is entered. Reidy credits his source, Daniel Kelleher of Castleisland, County Kerry, for the tune, which was played in a medley with "Old Walls of Liscarroll (1)."