Poltalloch House

Find traditional instrumental music
Jump to: navigation, search

X:1 T:Poltalloch House M:C L:1/8 R:Quickstep C:”By John McLachlan” B:John McLachlan - Piper’s Assistant (1854, No. 98, p. 59) Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:Amix d|c2A ecA|c2A e2g|B2G d>BG|BGB d2e| c2A ecA|c2A e2a|geg d>Be|AAA A<A:| f/g/|aga efg|acA e2a|gfg def|gBG d2 f/g/| aAa efg|fed e2a|g<eg dcB|AAA A2 f/g/| aga efg|acA e2a|gfg def|gBG d2 f/g/| a2A ecA|Tfdf g2a|geg dBe|AAA A<A||



Poltalloch House, Argyll
POLTALLOCH HOUSE. Scottish, Pipe Quickstep (6/8 time). A Mixolydian. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. Poltalloch House was a country house built by Neill Malcolm, 3rd laird of Poltalloch, from 1849 to 1853 at Kilmartin, Argyll, in the Scottish Highlands. The family’s commercial success was founded partly on their commodity trading in sugar, rum, cotton, cattle and slaves. They also profited from advancing credit and mortgages on land to other planters which allowed the family to expand into Tobago, Antigua and even as far as Honduras in Central America, and they purchased a cattle station in south Australia. Niall cleared the land for the mansion by ordering the eviction of tenants at Arichonan, which led to riots and unrest in the area, quelled only when police were called in. The building suffered a disastrous fire in 1902, and in 1957 the roof was removed (avoiding taxes), allowing the structure to decay into ruin.



Additional notes

Source for notated version: -

Printed sources : - John McLachlan (The Piper's Assistant), 1854; No. 98, p. 59.

Recorded sources: -



Back to Poltalloch House