X:1 % T:Tarbat House M:6/8 L:1/8 R:Jig B:Gow & Shepherd - Collection of entirely original strathspey, reels, marches, quicksteps etc. (1796, p. 11) Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:C G|c2c TB>AB|c2C C2E|G2G A2A|Tdcd/e/ d2G| c2c TBAB|c2C C2E|G2G TAGA/B/|c3 c2:| e/f/|g2g Taga/b/|c'2c c2e|d2d deTd/c/|B2G G2 e/f/| g2g Ta>ga/b/|c'2c c2e|d2d Tdcd/e/|c3 c2 e/f/| g2g Ta>ga/b/|c'2c c2e|d2d Td>ed/c/|B2G G2A/B/| c2c TB>AB |c2C C2E|G2G TAGA/B/|c3 c2||
TARBAT HOUSE. Scottish, Jig (6/8 time). C Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The tune was published by the Edinburgh music publishing firm of Nathaniel Gow and William Shepherd in a volume entitled A Collection of Entirely Original Strathspey Reels, Marches, Quick Steps &c., "by Ladies resident in a remote part of the Highlands of Scotland, as corrected by Nath. Gow." Unfortunately, the composers names are not given. The Leeds antiquarian Frank Kidson (1854–1926) penciled a note in his copy of the volume that the composers were, or included, “the Misses Whyte,” and modern researcher Charles Gore thinks “the Misses Whyte” may possibly be a Miss White and a Miss Brocky, of Morayshire, east Highlands.
Tarbat House  is (according to Wikipedia) "A three-story stone mansion in the neoclassical style, it was built in 1787 by the Edinburgh architect James McLeran for John Mackenzie, Lord MacLeod. The house is located approximately 500m from the village of Milton near Invergordon," Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. The house was badly damaged in an arson fire of the 1980's, but is partially restored.