Templehouse Reel (The)
X:1 % T:Temple House M:C L:1/8 R:Reel S:James Goodman (1828─1896) music manuscript collection, S:vol. 3, p. 134. Mid-19th century, County Cork Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:Edor E2 (3GFE BEGE|D2 (3FED ADFD|E2 (3GFE BEGE|(3Bcd AF BE E2:| g2 ef g2 ef|afdf afdf|g2 ef g2 ed|BdAF BE E2| g2 ef g2 efg|afdf afdf|ge af gedc|Bd AF BE E2||
TEMPLEHOUSE (REEL), THE (Teac An Teampuill). AKA- “Temple House Reel.” AKA and see "Evergreen (The)," “Evergreen Lasses,” “Fowling Piece (The),” "Monongahela College" (Pa.), "Mother Carey's," "Old Temple House Reel,” “Pretty Maids of Bulgaden,” “Pretty Girls of Bulgaden,” “Rising of the Lark,” “Tipsy House (The)." Irish, Reel. E Minor (most versions): E Dorian (Feldman & O’Doherty]. Standard tuning (fiddle). AB (Allan's, Flaherty, Tubridy): AAB (Harker/Rafferty, Kennedy, O'Neill/1001, O’Neill/Waifs): AABB' (O'Neill/Krassen). Templehouse is the name of a lake in County Sligo. The melody is current in both jig and a reel forms, but both appear to be derived from a Scottish strathspey, “Struan Robertson's Rant (1),” published by Robert Bremner in 1757. The reel appears under the title "Temple House" in the large mid-19th century music manuscript collection of County Cork cleric and uilleann piper Canon James Goodman. As Chief O’Neill (Irish Minstrels and Musicians, 1913) remarks: “Each in its class is a tune of distinct merit, though identical in tonality.” The title appears in a list of tunes in his repertoire brought by Philip Goodman, the last professional and traditional piper in Farney, Louth, to the Feis Ceoil in Belfast in 1898 (Breathnach, 1997). The melody was recorded in 1931 by Galway’s Ballinakill Ceili Band (paired with “Knocknagow Reel”) under the title “Fowling Piece (The).” The band’s pianist Anna Rafferty, points out guitarist Paul de Grae, unusually centered her accompaniment on C major chords.
Chief O’Neill (1922) remarks: “Altho the ‘Templehouse Reel’ first appeared in print in the O'Neill Collections, a more fluent setting of it memorized from the playing of ‘Jimmy’ O'Brien may be permissible. The latter, dealt with at considerable length in Irish Minstrels and Musicians (1910) hailed from the County Mayo, and was a very tasty performer on the Irish or Union pipes. He died at Chicago in 1885.” O'Brien's version, points out de Grae, is similar to the the versions O'Neill published earlier (in Music of Ireland and Dance Music of Ireland), "but with D naturals instead of the unidiomatic D#s in the second part." See also the Shetland tune “Up and Doon da Harbour.”