Back to Ulverston Volunteers
ULVERSTON VOLUNTEERS. English, Jig. G Major. StandaArd tuning (fiddle). AABB. Ulverston is a market town and civil parish in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria in North West England, although historically it was part of Lancashire. The Ulverston Volunteers (Cumbria) were a militia unit organized in 1803 "for the protection of our territories, our laws and our liberty," in response to the threat of French invasion. The unit, originally numbering some 256 men arranged in four companies, was commanded by a Major Sunderland. The Volunteers drilled and paraded on Fridays and Sundays, and added more men, with the officers being promoted so the Sunderland was soon a Lieut.-Colonel. They were apparently a victim of their own success, however, for their numbers outgrew the ability or willingness of the community's gentry to supply them with arms and military accoutrements. The Volunteers were disbanded in 1806, following the victory at Trafalgar. See Henry Barber M.D.'s Furness and Carmel Notes (1894, pp. 302-320) for a thorough history of the unit.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Knowles (A Northern Lass), 1995; p. 42.
Recorded sources: The Boat Band - "A Trip to the Lakes."