Back to Warwick Court
WARWICK COURT. English, Country Dance Tune (2/4 time). The melody was originally published by Charles and Samuel Thompson in their Compleat Collection, vol. 3 (London, 1773). As with numerous other tunes from the Thompson’s 1773 collection, it was entered into the 1788 music manuscript collection of fiddlers John and William Pitt Turner (Norwich, Conn.). It is also one of the “missing tunes” from William Vickers’ c. 1770 Northumbrian dance tune manuscript.
Warwick Court, Holburn, was once the site of Warwick House, the city residence of the Earls of Warwick in the 17th century, but replaced by the court in 1708. There was a College of Physicians nearby in the 18th century.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Thompson (Compleat Collection of 200 Favourite Country Dances, vol. 3), 1773; No. 131.