Brig o' Dee (1) (The)
X:1 % T:Brig o’ Dee , The M:C L:1/8 R:Strathspey C:James Young B:Davie's Caledonian Repository (Aberdeen, 1829-30, p. 12) Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion K:D E/|F<AA>F G>FE>F|G<BA>G F<A d2|F<AA>F G>FE>F| G>A,F>A, E/E/E G:|A|F<(d d)e/f/ g>Af>A|g>Af>A (3efd (3cBA| F<(d d)e/f/ g>Af>b|(3agf (3gfe d2 d>A|F<(d d)e/f/ g>Af>A| g>Af>A (3egf (3gab|(3aga (3def (3gfg (3Bcd|(3efd (3cdB (3ABG (3FGE||[A,8F8]|]
BRIG/BRIDGE O' DEE , THE. Scottish, Strathspey. D Major (most versions): C Major (Glen). Standard tuning (fiddle). AB (Glen, Honeyman, Hunter, Kerr): AAB (Athole, Skinner). A well-known strathspey composed by James Young (1815-1851), born in Montrose, who later moved to Aberdeen to teach and lead an orchestra in the Theatre Royal, Marischal Street. He had considerable local fame as a violinist and composer. A brother, David, was also a violinist and composer, and another brother, John, had a good reputation as a violin maker. James's fame rests on the strathspey and reel versions of "Brig o' Dee" and his "Dunnottar Castle" [Baptie, Musical Scotland, 1894]. (For reel setting see "Bridge of Dee (2) (The)."
The bridge has stood since the year 1520, a seven-arched structure over the River Dee in Aberdeen. It was restored in 1718-21 and widened in the 19th century by architect John Smith, but still features the original 16th century piers, coats of arms and passing places. The Brig o' Dee also refers to the surrounding area of the city of Aberdeen.