Charleville Lasses (The)
X:1 T:Charleville Lasses, The M:C| L:1/8 R:Reel K:G D|G2 ge dBAG|FDAD BDAD|G2 ge dBAG|DFAc BGG:| |:d|gedc BcdB|Aaag aeef|gedc BcdB|Ggga big:|]
CHARLEVILLE LASSES, THE. AKA and see "Reel (76)," "Una's Lock (1)." Irish, Reel. C Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The town of Charleville, or Rath Luirc, north County Cork, is located in the north-eastern slopes of an extension of a ridge known in ancient times as Drom Iomnacht. The town was founded in 1661 by Roger Boyle, Lord Broghill, who developed it originally as a textile manufacturing center, and named it in honor of King Charles II. Peter Kennedy notes that an English variant of the tune was sometimes employed as the vehicle for the country dance called The Cumberland Reel. See also Frank Roches setting as "Wayside Wagon (The)," and earlier Scottish versions as "Miss Gibson (2)," "Miss Edmonston's Reel," and "Mr. Robertson's Reel." A version of the tune was entered as an untitled reel into Book 2 (No. 204) of the large c. 1883 music manuscript collection of County Leitrim fiddler and piper Stephen Grier (c. 1824-1894).