Mr. Gun Munro of Poyntz-Field
Back to Mr. Gun Munro of Poyntz-Field
MR. GUN MUNRO OF POYNTZ-FIELD. Scottish, Reel. C Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AAB. The tune was published by the Edinburgh music publishing firm of Nathaniel Gow and William Shepherd in a volume entitled A Collection of Entirely Original Strathspey Reels, Marches, Quick Steps &c. (1796, p. 4), "by Ladies resident in a remote part of the Highlands of Scotland, as corrected by Nath. Gow." Unfortunately, the composers names are not given. The Leeds antiquarian Frank Kidson (1854–1926) penciled a note in his copy of the volume that the composers were, or included, “the Misses Whyte,” and modern researcher Charles Gore thinks “the Misses Whyte” may possibly be a Miss White and a Miss Brocky, of Morayshire, east Highlands.
Poyntzfield House, Resolie Parish, County Cromarty, was the manor of the Munro family and takes its name from Charlotte (AKA Jemima) Poyntz, the wife of the first George Gun Munro, for whom it was built. Formerly the estate was called Ardoch (The High Place). See note for "Mrs. Gun Monro of Poyntzfield's Fancy" for more on the family.
Source for notated version:
Printed sources: Stewart-Robertson (The Athole Collection), 1884; p. 78.