The Tune Network Graph displays the relationships of wiki content as the inbound (blue arrow), outbound (yellow arrow), and second order links for a list of wiki pages. Graph nodes represent wiki or web pages, while links between nodes indicate page links.
Links are directional. If two pages link to each other, the link is bidirectional (green arrow). Some wiki pages contain hyperlinks (yellow arrow) to external web pages. These pages are displayed on the graph using a wi-fi icon and support limited interaction.
The graph is pannable and zoomable using either the mouse scroll action or the zoom bar located at the bottom of the graph. Individual nodes may be dragged around and rearranged. The graph uses a D3 directed force layout graph topology which automatically revises node positions to a local equilibrium state to avoid overlap whenever nodes are dragged.
The graph is initialized with a user-defined list of wiki pages, along with all pages directly linked to these pages. The user may choose to elaborate a node. Elaboration involves retrieving and displaying all linked pages for the given node’s page.
Elaboration expands the Tune graph. Users expand the graph to explore the structure of the wiki. Elaborated nodes are also called hub nodes, and the length of links to hub nodes is longer for improved graph visibility. Users may also choose to hide individual nodes and/or hide entire hubs to focus down the graph to areas of interest.
Usage Users may right click on a given node to bring up a context menu of options. Below is a list of all possible options, but not all nodes may have all options as appropriate.
- Freeze: this node becomes frozen in position while other nodes may move around it
- Visit Page: opens the page represented by the node in a new tab or window
- Elaborate: elaborates a node, as discussed previously
- Hide Node: Removes this node and links to it from the Tune Graph.
- Hide Hub: Removes this hub node and all nodes immediately linked to it from the Tune Graph, unless the linked node is itself a hub.
- Show All: Adds all previously-hidden nodes and links back into the Tune Graph.